Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Walking In Woods

Give me a land of boughs in leaf,
A land of trees that stand;
Where trees are fallen there is grief;
I love no leafless land

~A E Housman

I've been walking in woods. Away from the noise of roads and traffic. A cathedral bursting with green and birdsong. A place to listen to your thoughts, and let go of baggage and chatterings of the modern world.
When I walk in the woods I wonder what it would be like to live here away from everything for a whole year. I would learn the language of the birds and be quiet under foot as woodland creatures are.  I would discover where the birds made their nests and I would be dressed in green  of course, so no one would really notice me there.
 Hours would be sat  up high on a comfortable branch watching and sharing the view with the rooks. I would need a head for heights and be an exceptional tree climber. I'm sure I could acquire these skills.... ;)
But at night I would come down and sleep among the moss and leaves beneath a twiggy shelter made of hazel sticks....
I found violets in the woods.
and orchids in the spaces between.
 From a distance the beautiful blackthorn was wearing a cloak of snow. Snow in Spring. Snow made of petals. Or a white cloak of lace, a Spring bride.


At home in the garden the Apple tree is also wearing her coat of many blossoms.


"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come."
-- Chinese proverb


Some little birds appeared in the Holly tree today.
And look! then they tried to nest in my basket.....
Keep an eye on Etsy over the next few days as they will be making a flight to my shop.
Tweet tweet, chirp chirp....
xx

18 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post, and lovely photos too. Those birds are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I too have been wandering in the greenwood this week x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the quiet of the forest is so overwhelming that I whisper to Pasha in the house so as not to disturb the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on this Karen. I miss the woods daily and often wish I lived away from the town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Karen. Thank you for the reminder of the need to keep a green tree in our hearts ready for the singing bird. Good to know I can do that even when I'm in the city, far from the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get such a peaceful joyous feeling when I walk in the woods. You have put it so wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a charming blog. I, too, run to the woods when my soul needs restoring and my spirit refreshing . .the only place to be. Often I have wondered what it would be like to be a wise woman of old, living in the wild with only nature for a friend and no reliance upon society for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely idea to live in the woods and become one with nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pictures of all the blossoming trees! And those little birds are the cutest things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your woodland walk, I feel so at home in the woods, what a wonderful thought living in the woods..love your wooden birds , so clever
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...quietly enthralling! ~ thankyoU! ~ for this beautiful gentle path into the woods! ~ blessed be! ~ dear kindred!...(O:

    ReplyDelete
  12. ~ Dear Karen, many years ago, when small, I used to play house in the woods....~ Finding trees and branches and creating items to make my camp a home...It was one of my most favourite play times....~ LOVED this enchanting post as always....and your birds are so special...~ with kindest thoughts...Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that too as a child Maria. Obviously the love of it always stays with us. Special times indeed. :) x

      Delete
  13. "I went out to the hazel wood / Because a fire was in my head / Cut and peeled a hazel wand" from our friend Yeats who could say it better...
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just spent three beaiutiful days immersed in nature with 23 children ... Doesn't get much better than that x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely spring photographs and such sweet little birds!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for you kind words. It's wonderful to read all your comments as always. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Karen - I've just discovered you!

    And can I just say how delightfully whimsical and whimsically delightful your little wooden creations are!! Just magic!

    I shall be keeping a close eye on your Etsy shop ... :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much you for leaving me a comment.
It's great to hear from you! :-)