Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Watery Week

"Can you hear it? It breathes, as you breathe.
I want you to hear the whole island-as it is now,at this very moment. There is the sea's stirring,always. But also, there are many sounds on Parla which are more than the waves, more than the stones being moved by them. The sheep bleat throatily. A wooden gate squeaks open. There are tiny bells on a piece of string which dance, and call out sing-sing-sing. In a house with herbs on its windowsill a kettle is boiling- its metal lid is starting to rattle, and there are footsteps coming to it and a woman is saying I'm here,I'm here....to the kettle,as if the kettle understands her...."  

Extract from 'The Silver Dark Sea' By Susan Fletcher

For the past couple of weeks I've been reading into the quiet hours past midnight, enchanted with the words of Susan Fletcher's latest book The 'Silver Dark Sea'. Submerged in nightly bathwater, I've been captivated by a watery tale of an island and a fish man.  
I just love how she writes. You may remember last year I shared another of her books 'Witchlight' which has become one of my all time favourites. I've put the link to this book on the Amazon widget  (further down on the right hand side bar)  if you are interested in taking a look.
The book and the very wet weather that we have had lately must surely have contributed to my inspiration for a new grey seal/selkie  hanger design. 
It has rained and rained and again there was not enough room in the river, so the fields have been turned into lakes that glisten in moonlight when the rain has a rest from falling.
So much water. Beneath, the grass has turned into swaying water nymph hair.
We are lucky as we live on a hill, but I feel so very sorry for everyone that has been flooded.
~*~ 
It's been extremely busy here. Between packing orders, answering emails and numerous trips to the post office it has been hard fitting in any new work and many things I had planned to do, have been put back for now.  But, it's all wonderful and I'm so very grateful to anyone that has bought from me, recently or in the past. Without you, I wouldn't be able to have the time to indulge and 'create' as a job. So here's a big X for you!  ;) 
These hares below are the one's I told you that I was working on in my last post. Blackberry, hazel, hawthorn and  oak. These have already been added to my shop and have already sold, but I thought I'd share anyway.  

Have a good week and stay dry if you can. 
 ~*~

24 comments:

  1. I just finished "Corrag", which, I think is the US title of "Witchlight" and was so moved by Fletcher's writing. I'll give this one a go! My, that is a lot of water, glad you live on a hill, though it might be ok for your selkie hangers, probably the hares would rather have grass than seaweed at their feet. Blessings of late autumn to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerianna :) Yes, it was originally published here as Corrag but when they re released it, changed it's name. Not sure why? So glad you enjoyed it! Blessings back to you in your beautiful forest. xx

      Delete
    2. Thank the gods I've been trying to find it on the us amazon and was getting nowhere, thanks Valerianna! For some reason I can't find Silver Dark Sea either, I really don't get the re-naming thing it seems completely unnecessary and redundant!

      Delete
  2. Your art is always so wonderful! I love it. I must go by your shop and browse; I have some holiday gift needs!
    Stay dry! Hugs, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. :) Yes I too need to begin my Christmas shopping. Where has the time gone? x

      Delete
  3. Even the flood water you can make beautiful! It's been amazing hasn't it and I do feel for those poor souls whose homes have been ruined with muddy water (and worse) Lovely creations, beautiful photos - lovely altogether. Am off to check out that book now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also feel for them. It must be dreadful and scary too having water just coming into your home and nothing you can really do to prevent it.

      Delete
  4. Thank you! I've just gone and added the book to my Amazon cart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your art speaks to me; the rabbits are charming and I like the angel painting along the right side of your blog. Sorry to hear about the high waters and flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work Karen and I have had a little spend with you!
    Keep warm and dry and hope mix pod gets sorted soon as we are both missing the beautiful music!!
    Kind regards Love Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. x Unfortunately Mix pod has gone for good so I will have to look for a new playlist. :(

      Delete
  7. Ooh you have a watery world there. Did you have to row to the post office? I am so looking forward to the cards arriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha not quite Charlotte. Thanks for your order, it's on it's way. :)

      Delete
  8. I just love your artwork its so uplifting even though the weather is grey a little piece of magic hangs in my window :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizziefae. I'm glad you have that little piece of magic in your window. x

      Delete
  9. Hi - I love your work. I don't know if it is just me but when I try to click through to your shop, the links don't work. I generally have to go to Etsy and then search for you.

    I don't mind doing that but it is a pity if the links aren't working for other people.

    P.S. adore the digitally enhanced cards you immediately sold out of. Are you doing any more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you like my work. :) Yes I will be doing more of the cards, not sure when yet though?

      That's strange that you are having problems with the Etsy links. I have just tried them and they all seem fine this end?

      Delete
  10. My beautiful hare is hanging in a window overlooking a watery world but we too live on a hill unlike so many others. I shall go and put that book in my basket as I loved Witchlight - thank you for telling us about it. Love your seal too. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Far too much water! Continuous stream of delights from your workshop.
    * * *
    I'm gradually letting people know I've moved my blog 'Message in a Milk Bottle' to a new URL -

    http://messageinamilkbottle2.blogspot.co.uk/

    - where it is now known as M2.
    If you would like to - please do re-follow there!
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much serendipity! I've just recently written about selkies on my blog (I love your gorgeous selkie hanger...) and I found 'Witchlight' in our little local library at the weekend... And now I find the two brought together, so magically, on your blog! Reading the beautiful extract here from 'The Silver Dark Sea', and dipping into 'Witchlight' whilst I finish my current read, Susan Fletcher's writing seems so haunting and lyrical. I'm looking forward to settling down tonight to begin 'Witchlight' even more now I've read your post. I think I'm going to love it too...

    I so love your blog and artworks, Karen. The gorgeous hare, and other beautiful hangers you created that now live on our walls, constantly bring magic to our days.

    I too am so thankful that we live high on a hill right now... So many sad stories as the waters rise...

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear of another Susan Fletcher fan. I blogged about her books, her writing is so beautiful as is your art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Karen for introducing me to Susan Fletcher! Loved Witchlight and am savouring every page of The Silver Dark Sea....i don't want it to end :) thank you too for your beautiful magical work and blog, it speaks to my heart :) Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much you for leaving me a comment.
It's great to hear from you! :-)